Categories

Packers Legend Weighs in on Keisean Nixon Controversy

Keisean Nixon, Green Bay Packers
Jerome Miron-Imagn Images

Former Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Bryan Bulaga offered a clear assessment of the team’s secondary this week, declaring Keisean Nixon the club’s top cornerback amid growing questions about the position group.

“Keisean Nixon is the Packers #1 Corner,” Bulaga said during an appearance on ESPN Milwaukee’s Homer Hour.

The comments came as the Packers navigate an open competition at cornerback during training camp. Nixon, a 29-year-old veteran entering the final year of his contract, recently expressed frustration with the situation.

“I guess I’m being punished right now, I guess, I don’t know,” Nixon said Sunday. “I don’t really worry about what I’m running in camp, ones or twos. I just keep my process and just compete — for real.”

Head coach Matt LaFleur addressed those remarks Tuesday, noting the broader context of competition across the roster.

“He loves making a headline, doesn’t he?” LaFleur said. “The way I look at it is this: I guess our whole team is being punished, because everybody is in competition.”

Bulaga’s straightforward endorsement stood in contrast to the buzz surrounding the secondary. The Packers added free-agent cornerback Benjamin St-Juste on a two-year, $10 million deal and selected South Carolina product Brandon Cisse in the second round of the 2026 NFL draft. Carrington Valentine, a three-year starter with 30 career starts, also remains in the mix.

Nixon started all 17 regular-season games in 2025 and earned his first Pro Bowl selection as an alternate. He finished with 72 tackles, one interception and 17 passes defensed, tying for sixth in the NFL in the latter category. Those numbers came in his first full season as a boundary corner after previously working primarily in the slot and as a return specialist.

Despite the production, Nixon has faced scrutiny for penalties and missed tackles. He allowed a 105.1 opposing passer rating on 87 targets last season, according to Pro Football Focus, and drew criticism for an apparent missed tackle opportunity in the playoffs against Chicago.

Nixon is set to earn a $4.3 million base salary this season, the final year of a three-year, $18 million contract signed in 2024. That figure ranks well below typical market value for a starting cornerback, adding another layer to discussions about his role and future with the organization.

The Packers’ unofficial depth chart still lists Nixon as a starter. He has rotated between first- and second-team snaps in recent practices, a development that prompted his comments about feeling punished. Secondary coach Bobby Babich has described the situation as a legitimate competition while praising Nixon’s handling of the process.

Bulaga, a Super Bowl champion during his Packers tenure, has become a regular analyst on the Homer Hour. His refusal to amplify uncertainty in the secondary provided a measured counterpoint as camp progresses toward the preseason finale and the regular-season opener.

Nixon has maintained that he focuses on his own preparation regardless of rep distribution. He returned to full practice after a brief hamstring issue early in camp and has continued competing daily.

The Packers enter the season with improved depth at the position after previous struggles to solidify the group beyond Nixon and Valentine. St-Juste brings experience from Minnesota, while Cisse offers size and athleticism as a high draft pick expected to develop quickly.

LaFleur has emphasized tackling and assignment soundness as key evaluation points for the cornerbacks. The competition, he said, benefits the entire defense by raising the overall standard.

Bulaga’s comments arrive at a moment when fan and media discussion has centered on whether Nixon remains the clear No. 1 option. By stating the veteran’s status plainly, the former lineman avoided contributing to any narrative of instability.

Nixon’s journey with the Packers began as an undrafted free agent in 2022. He quickly earned All-Pro honors as a kick returner in 2022 and 2023 before expanding his defensive role. Last season marked his emergence as a full-time outside corner, a transition he has described as beneficial for focusing on one primary position.

As training camp continues, the Packers will evaluate the group through joint practices and preseason games. Nixon remains listed atop the depth chart for now, with Bulaga reinforcing that ranking from an outside perspective.

The secondary’s performance will be critical for a Packers defense aiming to build on recent improvements. With multiple options available, coaches have stressed competition as a tool for maximizing production.

Bulaga’s assessment helps frame the conversation around proven performance rather than speculation. Nixon’s Pro Bowl recognition and leadership in passes defensed last year provide a statistical foundation for that view, even as younger and newly acquired players push for snaps.

The organization has not publicly indicated any imminent resolution to the competition. Practices continue to feature rotations, allowing coaches to assess all candidates under varying conditions.

For a player in a contract year, Nixon’s ability to respond on the field will likely determine both his immediate role and long-term outlook. Bulaga’s comments offer one clear signal that the veteran still holds the top designation in the eyes of at least one respected former Packer.

The Packers open the regular season next month, with the secondary’s final alignment still taking shape through the remainder of camp.

Share on Facebook
Share On Twitter

Buffalo Bills Get Absolutely Shredded by Former Star

Former Buffalo Bills safety Jordan Poyer has publicly aligned himself with frustrated season-ticket holders who say the team’s new Highmark Stadium does not deliver the

Raiders Urged to Make Bold Fernando Mendoza Decision

Former NFL quarterback and noted quarterbacks coach Jordan Palmer said the Las Vegas Raiders should give rookie Fernando Mendoza the starting job if the competition

New York Giants Acquire Massive DT in Compelling Move

The New York Giants have brought defensive tackle Ben Barten back into the fold, claiming the Wisconsin product off waivers from the Jets just weeks