Categories

Keenan Allen Reveals Why He Chose to Sign With Colts

Keenan Allen, Indianapolis Colts
Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images

Veteran wide receiver Keenan Allen made it clear Wednesday that a familiar coaching relationship played the biggest role in his choice to sign with the Indianapolis Colts.

The six-time Pro Bowl player agreed to a one-year contract that can reach $8.32 million. The deal reunites him with head coach Shane Steichen, who worked on the Los Angeles Chargers staff for years while Allen starred as a key target in that offense.

Allen spoke with reporters after putting pen to paper. He left little doubt about what tipped the scales.

“Shane’s my guy,” Allen said. “The way he runs things, he’s a genius. It’s been a little bit of back and forth, just me and him personally, without the agent.”

Insiders had noted that Steichen’s involvement stood out as Allen weighed options from other clubs. The personal conversations between the two carried more weight than formal pitches about offensive schemes or roster opportunities.

Their shared history stretches back more than a decade. Steichen first joined the Chargers organization in 2011 as a defensive assistant. After a short stint elsewhere, he returned in 2014 and shifted to the offensive side of the ball.

Allen and Steichen overlapped with the franchise from 2014 through 2020. Those years covered the early stretch of Allen’s professional career, when he established himself as a reliable and productive receiver.

Their most successful season together came in 2019. Steichen served as offensive coordinator that year, and Allen hauled in 100 catches. He finished with 1,199 receiving yards and six touchdowns under Steichen’s play-calling before the coach moved on to Philadelphia.

Allen expanded on the connection Wednesday.

“He knows the game. He knows the ins and outs. The way that he knows the game, I know the game as well. That’s how I was raised in the NFL world,” Allen said.

Questions quickly arose about whether the signing related to the status of Alec Pierce. The young receiver remains sidelined after offseason ankle surgery and is still on the physically unable to perform list.

Steichen addressed the timing head-on.

“No, that’s completely independent,” he told reporters. He explained that the Colts had been talking with Allen since the summer and that the two receivers would occupy different roles once Pierce returns.

Pierce signed a sizable four-year extension earlier this offseason. Team officials have described his recovery as progressing well, though no firm timeline for his return has been announced. Allen is expected to work both in the slot and on the outside while Pierce continues as the primary deep threat.

The addition also carries clear implications for quarterback Daniel Jones. Indianapolis is building its offense around the veteran signal-caller as he settles into a full season of health. Bringing in a receiver already fluent in Steichen’s system offers more than simple depth.

Allen, who turned 34 in April, arrives after posting 81 receptions for 777 yards and four touchdowns last season with the Chargers. That kind of steady production fits what the Colts need while Pierce recovers and Josh Downs aims to bounce back from a quieter 2025 campaign.

This marks the third team of Allen’s 14-year career. He spent the bulk of his time with the Chargers before a one-year stop in Chicago. He now ranks as the oldest active wide receiver heading into the 2026 season and brings a career total that exceeds 1,000 receptions, 12,000 receiving yards and 70 touchdowns.

Allen did not take full snaps during Wednesday’s joint practice against the Atlanta Falcons. He described his approach that day as “just chilling” while planning to increase his workload Thursday.

The gradual ramp-up should allow time for him to build chemistry with Jones ahead of the regular-season opener against the Baltimore Ravens.

Share on Facebook
Share On Twitter

Former Baltimore Ravens Coach Has Reportedly Died

The Baltimore Ravens family lost a dedicated special teams mind this past weekend with the death of Frank Gansz Jr., the longtime coach who spent

San Francisco 49ers Terminate Contract of Veteran Pass Rusher

The San Francisco 49ers have terminated the contract of veteran defensive end K.J. Henry, releasing the 27-year-old with an injury settlement after a brief and

Commanders Slammed With Even More Crushing Injury News

The Washington Commanders enter the final stretch of the 2026 preseason facing a pair of significant injuries that have already altered their depth on both