Categories

Phil Mickelson’s Golf Future Takes Another Troubling Turn

Phil Mickelson, Golf
Aaron Doster-Imagn Images

Phil Mickelson’s prospects for continuing his professional golf career appear increasingly uncertain as troubles mount around LIV Golf and separate personal matters surface.

The left-handed star, a six-time major champion, has stayed away from competition for an extended stretch. League officials listed him as absent once more for the final individual event of the season in Indianapolis. Family matters have been cited as the reason for his prolonged break from the course.

Compounding the situation, LIV Golf canceled its planned team championship that had been set for Michigan. The decision effectively wraps up the current campaign earlier than expected and leaves players facing questions about what comes next.

Reports indicate the league has been working to secure stable long-term financing after its previous primary backer, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, stepped away from ongoing support. That shift has fueled widespread speculation about whether the circuit can continue operating at its previous level.

Fresh challenges arrived in the form of a lawsuit. Front Office Sports reported that Fresh Tape Media is seeking more than $1.23 million in unpaid amounts plus interest. The company handled production and operations for the league’s preseason media days gathering held in January.

“Fresh Tape Media, the company that produced and operated the league’s preseason media days event in January, is suing LIV for more than $1.23 million in missed payments and interest, according to a complaint filed in New York State Supreme Court on July 21,” Front Office Sports’ David Rumsey detailed in an August 18, 2026 story titled, “LIV Golf Sued for $1.2M by Company That Produced Preseason Event.”

“Due to the nature of the lawsuit, LIV was only formally notified of the complaint on Monday—the same day it officially announced the cancellation of its $40 million team championship that was scheduled for next week in Michigan,” Rumsey added.

“It’s the latest company to go public with claims of missed payments from LIV, as various vendors and contractors have told Front Office Sports they are also owed money by the league.”

Despite the abrupt end to the schedule and the legal action, LIV Golf CEO Scott O’Neil has expressed confidence that the organization will move forward in a revised form.

“By concluding the season now, we can put our full resources behind what comes next and maintain the operational rigor this transition demands,” O’Neil said in a press release.

“We are reimagining LIV Golf as a fundamentally new League owned by the players and anchored in a sustainable business model, with an evolved fan experience built for the markets where the game is growing fastest across the globe and the support of world-class partners.”

For Mickelson, the league’s instability creates a particularly difficult path. Without regular LIV Golf events to return to, opportunities to compete at a high level could shrink further if the circuit fails to resume operations in 2027. His extended time away already has kept him off the leaderboard throughout the current year.

At the same time, Mickelson confronts serious personal allegations that have drawn attention from golf media. Golf Digest reported that he faces accusations of “inappropriate contact” involving a female staff member at The Farms Golf Club near San Diego, a facility where he previously held membership but no longer does.

The club issued a statement addressing the matter.

“All members are required to adhere to our Code of Conduct, and any allegations of misconduct are taken seriously,” The Farms noted to Golf Digest.

“Following a staff member report of member misconduct, the Club provided immediate and ongoing support to the staff member, conducted a thorough independent investigation of the incident and took decisive action. This individual is no longer a member of The Farms Golf Club,” the statement continued.

“The Farms conducts thorough reviews of all reported matters according to California Law and takes appropriate action when warranted, consistent with our commitment to integrity, excellence and accountability.”

Those developments stand in contrast to speculation surrounding other players who left the PGA Tour for LIV Golf and might explore paths back amid the league’s difficulties. Mickelson’s combination of prolonged absence, the uncertain status of LIV Golf, and the club-related allegations appears to leave fewer clear options available.

As the 2026 season draws to a close without him in the field, the 56-year-old faces a career crossroads. Whether he can resume competitive play next year will depend heavily on the direction LIV Golf takes and how the personal issues resolve.

For now, the outlook remains cloudy for one of the game’s most recognizable figures.

Share on Facebook
Share On Twitter

Fever Announce Caitlin Clark Injury News Before Dream Game

Indiana Fever fans breathed a sigh of relief Sunday after receiving an encouraging injury update on star guard Caitlin Clark following a scary moment in

Fever Star Caitlin Clark on Pace for Another Big WNBA Record

Caitlin Clark is rewriting the WNBA record books again, this time with a mark that combines scoring and playmaking in a way no player has

Brittney Griner Facing Punishment From WNBA After Sun-Dream Game

Connecticut Sun center Brittney Griner faces a fine from the WNBA after picking up a technical foul during Thursday’s matchup against the Atlanta Dream. The