Indianapolis Colts quarterback Daniel Jones said Monday he continues to advance in his return from a torn Achilles tendon, noting some fine-tuning remains even as he reports no restrictions in his movement.
Speaking on the Pat McAfee Show, Jones described his current state in straightforward terms.
“There’s a little bit of progress still to be made,” he said.
The comment came as the 29-year-old works through training camp and prepares for the regular season. Jones sustained the injury in Week 14 of the 2025 campaign during a loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. At the time, the Colts sat at 8-2 and were pushing toward a strong finish before a string of setbacks derailed their playoff hopes. They ended the year at 8-9.
Jones had already been managing a hairline fracture in his opposite leg when the Achilles tear occurred. The combination forced the team to turn to other options under center for the remainder of the schedule. After the season, he re-signed with Indianapolis on a two-year deal worth $88 million, with incentives that could push the total higher.
Throughout the offseason, Jones followed a careful but aggressive rehabilitation plan. He participated in throwing sessions during organized team activities and gradually increased his workload. By the time training camp opened, he was cleared for full participation, including 11-on-11 drills.
Team officials and coaches have consistently praised the pace of his recovery. Head coach Shane Steichen previously described Jones as someone who attacked the process from early morning through evening sessions in the training room and weight room. Reports from recent practices indicate Jones has looked fluid while scrambling and delivering accurate throws.
On the show, Jones expanded on where he stands. He said he feels quick and comfortable getting out of the pocket or shifting inside it. He added that he has no limitations at this stage and continues to build conditioning and overall workload with each passing week of camp.
“I feel really good,” Jones explained, emphasizing that the remaining steps involve normal adaptation rather than any lingering medical concerns. He expects further gains as the preseason wraps up and the focus shifts fully toward the opener against the Baltimore Ravens.
Observers around the team have noted that Jones appears largely unhindered. Wide receivers and coaches have commented that his mobility and decision-making look similar to the form that helped fuel the Colts’ strong start last season. Jones himself has said the process of trusting medical advice and then pushing the limits has been key.
The quarterback’s return carries significant weight for a roster that showed promise when healthy. Indianapolis features a talented supporting cast, and having Jones available from Week 1 would provide continuity after last year’s late collapse.
Jones has made clear that the final stages of recovery involve refining strength and conditioning rather than overcoming basic movement issues. He remains focused on building confidence through live reps and preparing his body for the demands of a full season.
As camp continues, the Colts will monitor his progress closely while keeping him out of preseason games as a precaution. The organization has targeted a full return for the regular-season start, and Jones’ latest comments suggest that timeline remains realistic.
For a player who once faced questions about durability during his earlier years, the rapid bounce-back stands as a positive development. Jones has repeatedly stressed that consistent effort and trust in the rehabilitation staff have guided him to this point.
The coming weeks will test how the remaining progress translates to game speed.
For now, the quarterback’s outlook is measured yet optimistic, centered on incremental gains and readiness when the games begin to count.





